POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My mouse : Re: My mouse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My mouse
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Jan 2008 06:51:49
Message: <478b4cd5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Anyway, does *anybody* have *any* idea why reinstalling Windoze has
>> made my mouse malfunction so badly??
>
> I would check the drivers for the mouse, USB ports and any other
> "mainboard" type drivers.  There might be some different version now
> than before the reinstall.

When I originally installed Windoze, I used the CDs that came in the
box. However, I now have a dual-core CPU, and [I forget exactly what
happened] I couldn't get Windoze to work properly without using the
latest motherboard drivers. Go figure.

So, new motherboard drivers. (The mouse itself doesn't have any drivers
- or rather, it does, but I've never used them. The drivers are to
activate the 15 buttons that I don't use. 3 buttons is enough for me...)

> Then I'd try a different mouse, just to see.

Yeah, if I had one...

> When it stops working, is the mouse still "there" (ie in device manager)
> or does Windows think it has gone?

It's very hard to check.

10 years ago, I used a sophisticated operating system called AmigaOS. It
was possible to operate this without a mouse, because there was a set of
keyboard shortcuts for moving the mouse pointer and clicking mouse
buttons. However, to my absolute frustration [indeed, near rage],
Windoze doesn't appear to support such a feature. So you have to guess
what keyboard shortcuts every individual program uses [assuming it
provides any at all]. Grrr!!

I do have a very vague recallection that maybe I had the mouse plugged
into the PS/2 port before, whereas now it's in a USB port. However, I
*cannot* find the USB-PS/2 adaptor anywhere, so...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/